She opened the night with a comment about the rain LA has seen the past few days: "For those of you watching us around the world, it’s been a tough couple of days for us. It has been raining. We’re fine – thank you for your prayers."
- “Things are so different now. Last time, for instance, when I was here Cate Blanchett was nominated, Meryl Streep was nominated, Leonardo DiCaprio was nominated, Martin Scorsese was nominated. So different.”
- “I’m not saying that movies are the most important thing in the world, because we all know that the most important thing in the world is youth.”
- “I think you should think of yourselves as winners. Not all of you, but the people who have won before should think of yourselves as winners.”
- “Who are we kidding? It’s the Hunger Games. I mean, there are cameras everywhere, you’re starving, Jennifer Lawrence won last year.”
- On Jennifer Lawrence's infamous fall at last year's Oscars, Ellen said she wasn't going to bring up what happened, then proceeded to tell the room exactly what had happened and said she had a clip. She went on to say, “If you win tonight, I think we should bring you the Oscar.”
- “I’m not going to say who looks the most beautiful, but it’s clear. It’s Jared Leto. I mean, he’s the prettiest. Boy is he pretty." We couldn't. agree. more. Moment of silence for the fact that he is 42 years old, not 27-28 like I thought... Oops. That hair though... I mean... C'mon...
- She called out Jonah Hill and said, “You showed us something in that film that I have not seen for a very, very long time.” Referring to his character flashing his. ahem, manhood, in The Wolf of Wall Street.
- And one of my favorite OMG moments: “We should get started. It’s going to be an exciting night. Anything can happen, so many different possibilities. Possibility number one: 12 Years a Slave wins best picture. Possibility number two: You’re all racists. And now please welcome our first white presenter, Anne Hathaway.”
At one point in the show, she asked if anyone would want pizza if she ordered it. A few hands were raised and later on a pizza man showed up with 3 large pizzas and passed it around amongst the A-listers in the first few rows.